The state of Georgia literally has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to sports! From professional sports teams and events like the Atlanta Falcons and the Masters Golf Tournament to the Georgia Bulldogs in collegiate sports, coastal yachting or the countless recreational leagues across the state, sports in Georgia are literally everywhere you turn. It doesn’t stop there either! The history and legacy of sports here runs deeper than perhaps anywhere in the entire United States and includes names like:
- Ty Cobb– legendary baseball player, born in Narrows, GA.
- Herschel Walker– 1982 Heisman Trophy winner and All-Pro running back, born in Wrightsville, GA.
- Jackie Robison– 6-time All Star, 1955 World Series Champ, 1949 NL MVP, born in Cairo, GA.
- Walt Frazier– basketball legend, 2-time NBA Champion, 7-time All-Star, born in Atlanta, GA.
- Calvin Johnson– 2006 Biletnikoff Winner, NFL All Pro and Pro Bowler, born in Newnan, GA.
Georgia’s love of sports is also nurtured by some of the best sporting venues in the world. Among them are:
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA- home of the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons and the MLS’ Atlanta United FC and the SEC Football Championship game, the Celebration Bowl and the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
- Truist Park, Atlanta, GA- home of the MLB’s Atlanta Braves
- State Farm Arena, Atlanta, GA- home of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks
- Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA- Home of the University of Georgia Bulldogs
- Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, GA- annual host of NASCAR Cup Series stock car races
Hall Of Fame Level Sports
The biggest state sports hall of fame is the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in Macon. It is over 43,000 square feet and under the direction of the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame Authority. It has a diverse array of exhibits and covers sports across the spectrum including high school, collegiate sports, Olympic, Paralympic and professional sports.
Atlanta has the College Football Hall Of Fame: The Ultimate Fan Experience, located across the street from Mercedes-Benz Stadium. It’s an interactive fan experience that sells itself as the best tailgate event ever.
Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall is located on the Athens campus of the University of Georgia. There you can see lots of UGA memorabilia, exhibits from the Olympics, interactive displays, and video highlights.
- Fun Fact: 5% of current NFL players come from the state of Georgia
How Sports Benefit Georgia
Sporting events bring lots of tourist dollars into a town that are spent not only at the event, but also at local gas stations, attractions, hotels, bars and restaurants. The influx of money and worker hours to these industries heightens spending in the whole region, giving the local economy a nice “bump.”
While collegiate athletes have brought victory and honor to Georgia for many years, it is worth noting that sports have provided thousands of Georgia students with scholarships to further their educations at exceptional universities and colleges throughout the state.
Sports in this state are so much deeper than just professional and college sports. The recreational leagues, public and private golf and tennis clubs, public school league sports and public parks provide residents across the state with great opportunities to keep healthy and fit. Many of these activities can be done at a very low cost or are subsidized or completely free!
Enjoy Georgia Sports!
Don’t sit at home and miss out! Get out and enjoy the wonderful sports and activities that the Peach State has to offer. If you are unable to get out and enjoy the activities that you would like to because you are experiencing back pain, neck pain or sports injuries, North Atlanta Chiropractic Center is here to help! Visit their website and schedule your free consultation today!